In April 2016, Tokyo Institute of Technology (Tokyo Tech) started the Global Scientists and Engineers Program (GSEP). Under this program, qualified international students who have little or no proficiency in the Japanese language are now able to enroll at Tokyo Tech to pursue a bachelor of engineering degree in Japan.
GSEP is a program for international students striving to be scientists and engineers with a global perspective in transdisciplinary fields. Proficiency in the Japanese language is not required for admission, as courses will be taught in English. However, students will be required to study basic Japanese and will be encouraged to further familiarize themselves with the language and culture throughout the course of their studies. Students who successfully acquire advanced Japanese skills may take elective courses taught in Japanese as well.
Scholarship type: Full scholarship
- Students who have been accepted for a MEXT Scholarship will not be required to pay the admission or tuition fees.
- The MEXT scholarship provides a monthly stipend of JPY 120,000 for undergraduate students. The amount of the stipend is subject to change in accordance with the directives of the MEXT scholarship program.
- In accordance with MEXT regulations, students will be provided with an economy-class air ticket from the international airport closest to their place of residence in their country of nationality to Narita or Haneda International Airport.
Those who are applying for other MEXT scholarship programs such as those requiring a recommendation from the Japanese Embassy or Consulate General, or a scholarship of the Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) will be required to decline candidacy of the MEXT scholarship offered under the GSEP program.
- Applicants who will enroll in Tokyo Tech under a scholarship other than those offered by MEXT and do not reside in Japan may apply for a Monbukagakusho Honors Scholarship for Privately Financed International Students awarded by JASSO.
- Please note that individuals who have been granted the above scholarship cannot apply to receive other scholarships at the same time.
- The monthly stipend is JPY 48,000, which is subject to change in accordance with the directives from JASSO.
- This scholarship will be offered from April 2019 to March 2020.
- Applicants will still be required to pay the application, admission, and tuition fees even if they are granted this scholarship.
- Applicants who currently reside in Japan are not eligible to apply for this scholarship and are instead requested to follow the instructions provided at the official website.
Eligibility: Open for all with some essential requirements.
Deadline: September 6, 2018
For more details please visit: http://www.tse.ens.titech.ac.jp/~gsep/